Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Platelet Battle

As you know Dave's body is in a battle with itself and it is know as ITP. This has not been an easy fight, but the battle rages on and he presses on. I think it is mostly emotionally draining. He only feels some physical side effects of the steroids and dealing with additions to his schedule with blood draws and doctors appointments every week. His counts were up to 82,000 this last week. YEAH!!! He had another blood count draw today, so we should have another count tomorrow. The Hematologist is going to try to taper him off the steroids again. If the platelets drop then he will be considered steroid dependent and have to undergo another therapy. The doctor is talking about using Ritaxin, which is actually used as chemotherapy for Hogkins-lymphoma. I would love to know if anyone has any experience with this or feedback. I tend to be skeptical of putting chemicals in my body, so this one makes me nervous just thinking about it. After some research I feel like it is probably a good option, but it's hard to know.  There are about 13 different treatments for this but none guarantee remission for the long run. It seems that it is just by chance that people get better. I believe that God wants to heal Dave, but am having a hard time persevering through the here and nows, the day to day interruption, the naptime spent on the phone with insurance, the added stress of bills, and fact that this could be a chronic disorder with other side effects. This is such a complicated disorder. For this I ask you to pray for peace for us, for complete healing for Dave and for fear and worry to not have a hand in our lives. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

The Speck Family said...

Thanks for the updates--praying for a quick and successful solution!

Anonymous said...

Shelby, I am joining you in prayer for a complete healing for David.

My prayer for you is found in Numbers 6:24-26 which states "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

My prayers are always with you. We love you.

love,
mom/gma knight