Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hope and Life

This past week I have been pondering how fragile and amazing life is. The fact that there is a life growing inside of me right now (33 weeks old) and the fact that life can end at any moment. I was reminded of this when a dear friend of Dave and I, Mitch Thomas, entered eternity this last Tuesday from his battle with Luekemia. It is hard to put to words what the loss of a friend brings, but exciting to think about where he is now. Mitch was such a light and inspiration to so many. I got a letter over email today that talked about how many peoples lives were changed due to Mitch's life. I only hope I can have that same impact on the people I come in contact with. He had over 700 people at his memorial service on Saturday! Mitch's life and ministry will continue on through this tragedy.
Dave and I got to know Mitch about 2 years ago when we went to Spokane, WA on a church leadership retreat. We talked Mitch into moving to LA to join the team of people starting Corridors church in Pasadena. About a year after living here Mitch got sick. He and I went to a clinic in El Sereno to get things checked out. That is where Mitch's battle began. We watched him for the last year fight the fight. At one point we thought he had counqured it by going into remission, but that was temporary, as is life. He stood strong on the words in 1 Thes. 5:16-18 "Always be joyful. Never stop praying, Be thankful in all circumstances for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." He spread hope and joy to so many, including me. That is why during this time I am not angry or bitter about why God did not heal Mitch here on earth. Mitch's life was about hope and God is faithful. Mitch's life leaves me thinking about the hope I have in Christ and the fact that he has given each of us a gift...eternal life.
I think about the life of our son. I hope he will choose to be a man of God, like Mitch. One who never gives up hope and one that will run after the cross, take hold of it and not turn back. I hope he doesn't take for-granted the breathe that God has given him and I hope I don't either. I hope I don't forget that Jesus conquered the grave and that is where my hope lies. No matter what happens in this life, I will worship Him forever in eternity. That is what makes life amazing!!

Picture of us in Washington when we first met Mitch! He had such a great sense of humor.

Picture of Dave(chipmunk) and Mitch(superman) cheering on their friends in a basketball tournement. Those guys:)

We will miss you Mitch!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That brought tears to my eyes. I hadn't heard that he passed. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of a great friend. It is encouraging to know he is with the Lord in a much better place than this.I love you and we are praying for you and his family. Love ya sis. *Lindsay

The Clifton Family said...

Shelby,
Your blog is coming along GREAT :) You'll have much more to add after Baby Knight comes. Thanks for the reminder about fragility of life. It's a great reminder. :) We will be praying your pregnancy continues to go well. You look AMAZING for 32 weeks. That's craziness, girl! I will never show you pics of me at 32 weeks if you look like that :) Have a blessed day....
Kelli Clifton

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful way to speak impacting words of a great friend and the life that Christ gave us. Didn't know you two lost such a great friend. Glad to know you are both at peace in knowing he is with the BIG guy and no longer in pain! AMEN!

Unknown said...

Beautiful words about Mitch, Shelby. You know I think often about how you helped Mitch find that clinic in LA and physically took him there...Marlene has thanked me numerous times for us "making him" go to the clinic. She said we gave him that extra year and a half of life. Anyways, just wanted you to know we are grateful you took Mitch that day.

I love all your baby pics. Hope you are feeling and doing well. blessings,

Christy