Friday, December 10, 2010

Tis the Season

I look forward to this season every year. I know many people don't for varies reason, but I enjoy decorating the house, making things for people, holiday gatherings, hot cider, Christmas music, holiday crafts, cookie making, shopping and the time spent with friends and family. Yes, sometimes it seems a bit hectic and stressful, but those moments are far overshadowed by the joyous ones.
This morning at MOPS(Mothers of Preschoolers) a mom shared about unanticipated joy for the holiday season. She shared stories of her life and others lives that in the face of what could be seen as dark moments...joy and hope. She said that "our experiences are finite, compared to forever". That really struck me. Sometimes I feel like the moments are hard to endure and I do not welcome the challenges that I face. They are so finite though. This is spoken from someone who has experience extreme loss (two births- a single child and a set of twins at birth). She challenged us to not be surprised by God's plan and welcome new things, like Mary and Joseph welcome Jesus and then had to watch Him die for everyone including them. It was like a Christmas story that I had never heard. She told her story with such hope and joy that it makes me want to embrace that this holiday season. She also encouraged us to let people know they are not alone and that they are loved, whether it is a neighbor or a homeless person on the corner. That is what is most important isn't it? Sometimes I get lost o=in all of the other stuff!

These are a few joys of my holiday season so far...

1. Taking Tyler to a Christmas in the park where they had snow to play in. He had fun making snow balls or slush balls. He did not know the difference though.

2. Not sure if this is sak religious, but Tyler called the baby Jesus in the Nativity "Baby sister":)

3. Tyler points out all of the Christmas lights as we drive from one place to another.

4. Tyler sings Old MacDonald had a farm and Happy Birthday as he plays with his childrens nativity set. I don't think he knows how true that is:)

5. Tyler was in the cart at Target, when I hear..."Mommy...baby sister in my belly", as he is pulling his shirt up and smiles:)

Here are a few pictures of our decor:







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelby, thanks for sharing your pictures and, most importantly, the story of your friend's joy and hope in spite of her trials in life. We love you.

gamma knight

Carpenters said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. All the stories about Tyler are so cute. Wish I could see the photos, but they don't come through. I'm sure everything looks great though. Love you guys!!